Wednesday, September 15, 2010

When Buyers Flee the Market

In one of my more brilliant (and recent pieces - because of the awesome chart at the end) I a likened the courtship market of people in their 30's much like the housing market. It was a-BOOMIN' and buyers were desperate to buy a house, ANY HOUSE.

And all of the sudden - POOF!

No more buyers.

The buyers, exasperated from the horrors of trying to find a house, having to constantly battle against other buyers, looking at dumps that needed repair and needed tens of thousands of dollars worth of improvements, not to mention the pain of getting financing, just gave up. The houses just weren't worth it. Renting was better. And the goal of living in a McMansion was soon replaced with a much simpler life of renting and NEVER BUYING.

Now, the sellers are desperate. Most bankrupt. And nobody wants their McMansions any more as society and the economy more or less force frugality upon the buyers.

Seems this young lady (or perhaps not so young any more) is starting to notice it on the analogous "seller"side while us "buyers" saw it coming a long time ago.

Here is the ht to a slightly harsher interpretation of this poor woman's situation.

9 comments:

Aeroguy said...

The analogy would make more sense if there was a sudden flood of young woman increasing the supply. Rather unlike houses which are normally assets that appreciate in value over time, a woman's body is an asset that depreciates in value over time. A fact made all the more potent by how a man's appeal appreciates in value over time. I always appreciate the Captains advice, I've found that dating older women is a far better experience than dating college age girls. I'm still dating the collage age girls anyway but I don't date one girl at a time (I will go out of my way to find more dates to avoid the precarious situation of only having one girl on my mind) which helps immunize myself from their bullshit since I have others to choose from when they start pulling crap. I'm still a padawan though, I have a great deal to learn. (I can date multiple women but I have a hard time keeping them around for very long (and no, not long enough))

botcho said...

El Capitain: I'm quite sure it's "flee" as opposed to "flea".

Anonymous said...

How true:

"Choices have consequences."

Anonymous said...

There are also a lot of women that marry much later in life. Then they run into all sorts of unexpected problems. Many have trouble having children because they are too old. The use of fertility drugs has become very common, among older women. The ones that have children are shocked to find out what high a level of energy is required to raise a child. A 40 year old new mother, finds out rather quickly why her mother had kids at a much younger age.

Anonymous said...

Orlando Ochoada is still available ladies.

Captain Capitalism said...

LORD HELP THE LADIES!

CBMTTek said...

This sums it up nicely:

I also believe they should keep in mind that choices…have consequences.

Human nature never takes that into account, and we have any number of "recession" type situations.

Buy a house that is 10x your yearly salary. Don't complain about the consequences.
Chose to buy a cell phone, bottled water, and HDTVs instead of health insurance. Stop bitching about the cost when you get ill.
Chose to take up gay and lesbian studies instead of engineering or accounting. Don't complain when all you can find is a min wage job.
And, chose to delay romantic commitment until you are well into your 30s, do not be surprised that desirable men are looking at women younger then you.

Anonymous said...

There is an old expression, you make your own bed, and you get to lie in it.
I think that pretty well sums things up.

Tim said...

I love it. I'm a NetAdmin, employed at same place for 10+ years, put myself through college (no student loans), zero debt, some cash savings, I rent an apartment.

I'm gonna get a great deal on a house soon.