Tuesday, September 27, 2011

The Captain's Great Fish Fossil Hunting Adventure

Over the past 10 years the Captain has amassed himself quite the impressive fossil collection. I have trilobites, oredonts, brontotheres, ammonites, brachiopods, cephlopods, dinosaurs, you name it. However, two have evaded me because I lived too far away from the corresponding fossil beds - fish and turtles.

Of course I USED to live too far away, but now that I no longer live in the Cold Detroit, I can easily make it to Kemmerer, WY, the capitol of fish fossils in a day's drive! And so the Captain set forth! See what it's like to live a day in the life of the Captain! -

Unless you are in the mountains, this is what Wyoming looks like.


This is in Shoshone National Forest.


This is the "Red Canyon" I believe. South of Lander.


This is me with the fossil cliffs behind me. The car could go no further. Time to foot it in.


Here's where I had a celebratory drink. It was a Saturday night and I don't believe there is much of a night life in Kemmerer.


Here's my hotel. The Fossil Butte Motel! Nothing but the finest for your Captain!


I prepared in case the Fossil Butte Motel didn't have working cable or TV. This was what was showing on "Cappy Cap Theatre."


And finally the fossils! You have to zoom in on them, but they are actually some pretty good pieces!


Remember kids, if you work too hard, only the people who parasite off of you benefit. Make sure you go out and play in dirt and work as little as possible as you enjoy the decline!

2 comments:

Rowan said...

Pretty damn cool Capt. Ever thought of getting into fossicking for gold or gems?

Ping Jockey said...

Bingo, Cap'n! It doesn't pay to work hard anymore, like it used to. Now, the more you make, the more the leeches take! The damn government is like a 20-pound tapeworm you can't get rid of!