Saturday, July 21, 2012

Beartooth Pass Rally

So I headed out to a section of the Shoshone National Forest which is just north of Yellowstone National Park.  I was informed this had great motorcycling roads and I would enjoy the ride.  I had the additional benefit of having to transverse the Big Horn mountians via Hwy 14 which provides some nice views of "Shell Canyon."

My informant, however, failed to tell me that there was a motorcycle rally going on today, and so I was stuck behind no limit of aging, mid-life crisis gray hairs who thought it "cool" to grab Ma, buy a Harley trike, and drive REALLY SLOW through the world's best curve roads, denying me and about 2,000 younger and much more skilled motorcyclists the opportunity to enjoy said curves.  Not that I have an opinion about old farts with matching helmets that should never be allowed to buy a trike in the first place and something or other about really cheap and poorly kept nursing homes.

Anyway, here are the photos.  I hope you learn to enjoy the decline as much as I have.























































9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Captain, what the ****. This post takes up an entire page on your blog. I actually had to click "older posts" to get to the "cappy cap poll for men" thread.

Nice pictures by the way. b

Anonymous said...

That looks like it was fun...even with the pokey oldsters in the way. I bet they were nice people, though. How many miles total? I'm thinking about riding from Denver to Bigfork, MT in August on my Kawasaki. Nah, scratch that...can't bring my golf clubs, guns and fishing gear.

Joe Bar said...

Yeah, we have the same old farts on the Blue Ridge Parkway. You get used to passing illegally.

And I'm 55, on a Concours/Speed Triple.

Nice pics!

Anonymous said...

FU Get a JOB

Captain Capitalism said...

Anon 935,

Why?

Anon 330,

I would advise against it. My back is still sore. 17 hours on a crotch rocket is not fun.

Anon 958

I don't know!

Edward said...

Nice shots. Have you ever thought about investing in high-end camera gear and maybe upload a few on http://www.coolphotoblogs.com/? Might be worth a shot if can you get the picture.

Anonymous said...

Fantastic! These remind me of my own (pedal) bike trip. We had gone through the Big Horn mountains on what must have been the same road (we saw Shell Falls). I also vaguely remember something about a bike rally in Sturgis during the month of July, so I guess that could account for the oldster traffic that you ran in to.

Keel livin' it up, man

heresolong said...

i know why they do it though. These are not folks who just decided to buy a trike, these are bikers who can't hold up a bike anymore and don't want to give it up. I don't know what I will do when I hit that point. Not sure I could just quit riding but a trike? Shudder.

Captain Capitalism said...

Heresolong,

No, those were definitley NOT the people I was talking about. Those old timers who get the trike and their leathers are worn and tattered, I can forgive that.

I'm talking the PINK matching helmets with "Ma" and "Pa" stenciled on, and she's got her camera and is filming the whole ride with her camera. Not a scratch on the brand new trike and they're driving PAINFULLY slow and have a convoy 2 miles long behind them.

THOSE are the people I'm talking about.