Friday, February 08, 2013

A Real College Commencement Speech

An agent in the field sent me this video.

It's of an idealistic and clueless professor parting wisdom to her students about what they should do for their futures. 

It then dawned on me that she is misleading these children, not purposely, but cluelessly, into lives that will not result in their greatest potential, and most likely spectacular failure.  Not because she is evil, mind you, but a clueless academian who'se never worked in the real world.

I respond with a more practical "college commencement speech" that not only aims to undo the damage she did, but turns out to be "the" college commencement speech every college graduate today needs to hear.

If you have children in college and want the best for them, then I suggest taking my bitter medicine instead of her sugar coated placebo.

9 comments:

sth_txs said...

The best speech was by Steve Jobs a few years ago.

Anonymous said...

I think this applies.

http://www.ecotopia.com/webpress/stupidity/

Never underestimate the damage that stupid people can do.

Anonymous said...

That was painful. Talk about being economically clueless: "unfair wages...I would work for free..."

Just f---ing painful.

Anonymous said...

I would like to hear your thoughts on Chris Dorner and his manifesto, and the recent story of the women being shot by police.

Ten Mile Island said...

Feedback on my last post, please?
.

Anonymous said...

Women make lousy teachers. With a few exceptions - two in my entire school and university career.

Most of my profs had been involved in WW II - some in technical work, some in desk jobs, but one had spent q couple of years in a Nazi concentration camp, waiting to be shot. Against such men the few females we were afflicted with couldn't begin to cut it.

PUMPsix said...

I think it is quite humorous that only people with worthless degrees are hit with the question: what am I going to do with my life? I wonder how many electrical engineers need to ask themselves that question.

DeNihilist said...

Sorry Cappy, gotta disagree with you on the Philosophy course. Philosophy, when taught properly is about learning to think with a critical view to all and any's points. It teaches one of the main things you stated, critical thinking, which can lead to a variety of productive careers. My oldest son is in 3rd year philosophy, at the top of his class, and has, right now, both the business department and the law department of his uni, chasing him.

It is not all about, "why is this thing we sit on named a chair?"

Steve said...

She's removed her video. 3 days after you linked to it.

Was that your doing captain?



@DeNihilist
So other departments are chasing him, not private employers though?
I agree it can be useful, not by itself though.